Music Licensing

Music Licensing for Events

SongDivision works with some of the best musicians in the world including people who have written the best music in the world. As songwriters, we appreciate the importance of paying for the music used at events. Not only is it the ethical thing to do, but it’s illegal to use music without securing proper rights to it.

We have partnered with the major music licensing agencies to provide you with the information that you need to easily obtain rights to use music at your events.


I Need More Info on Music Licensing.

What You Need to Know About Music Licensing

Do I Need a Music License for My Events?

Do I Need a Music License for My Events? The answer is, yes.  It’s the law, and it’s the right thing to do.  We all expect to get paid...

Read More

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a PRO?

PRO's are the 'Performing Rights Organizations' that collect music royalties on behalf of songwriters and publishers.

I've paid for a Spotify/Apple/Amazon/Google/Pandora (or other streaming service) premium account, do I still need a music license for my event?

Yes, in most cases you still need a music license. The fee you've paid covers private use, the same way that buying a CD, record, or downloading an mp3 off iTunes only allows you to use if for private use. For any public use, such as at a meeting or event, you need a license. For more on 'public use' click here.

We only want to use one or two current Top 40 or classic songs to play as background music when our CEO walks onto the stage. Do we still need a license?

Yes - you need a license for any public performance of music, which means a gathering of people beyond family and friends.

Can I buy a license for a one-off event?

Yes - if you buy a license from all three PRO's, i.e. ASCAP, BMI and SESAC, you will be covered for any song for an event for up to 1,500 people for only $616.

Shouldn't the band, DJ, event or AV company already have a music license?

If your AV or event company has the correct licenses, you're covered. But bands and DJ's won't have the licenses to cover you as BMI, ASCAP and SESAC do not license bands or DJs. They state that the 'responsible parties' for each event, e.g. the company the event is for, or the lead event or AV company, need to have the licenses in place. Only one license from each PRO is required - so if the company, event company or AV company have the proper licenses, then everyone is covered. You don't need to double up. But bands and DJ's won't have the license.